Traveling during the shoulder season is not only cheaper than summer and winter, but it’s also a uniquely beautiful time of year to be outdoors. So, you’re actually saving money by planning your dream trip for the fall, while also impressing your peers!
Here are some of the best destinations to visit in fall 2019:
- Quebec City, Canada: As the leaves start to turn and the crowds thin, this former French outpost in eastern Canada shines brightly on a 65-degree fall afternoon. Stroll the cobblestone streets in postcard-perfect Quartier Petit-Champlain or sample fresh fruits and apple cider at the farm stands on Ile d’Orleans, across the St. Lawrence River.
- Williamsburg, Va.: Colonial Williamsburg, the full-scale historical village eternally locked in the 1700s, can be sweltering and packed on summer break. Better to enjoy fall colors and temperatures here and at Monticello, two hours away by car. There, you can appreciate the genius of Thomas Jefferson as well as his imperfections, embodied in a frank guided talk about slavery and the country’s third president.
- Cape May, NJ: Cape May is great in the summer, but it’s magical in the fall. Autumn is when monarch butterflies converge upon this beach town for a few charmed weeks during their migration. Stop for brunch at the Blue Pig Tavern in the historic Congress Hall hotel (one of President Ulysses S. Grant’s favorite places to stay) before doing some serious shopping along Washington Street or bike riding along Beach Avenue.
- Hogback Mountain, VT: You won’t be lacking with colorful, scenic views at Hogback Mountain. If you drive Route 9 on a clear day, you’ll be able to enjoy views of Vermont, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. If you stick around long enough, you might even be able to spot a black bear, bobcats and deer, which are just some animals that are part of their diverse wildlife species.
- Great Smokey Mountains: Gatlinburg, the fall foliage begins to appear in mid-September at the higher elevations. That, coupled with moderate temperatures, offseason rates, and few crowds, make September a great month to visit. Crisp fall days in October when the foliage reaches its flaming peak draw huge crowds and visitors can expect traffic delays, especially on holiday weekends. Oktoberfest is truly an amazing experience in Gatlinburg! Or take the train in Western North Carolina! The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad operates several excursions throughout the year. Its Tuckasegee River Excursion on a vintage steam train is the most scenic in the fall. On the four-hour round-trip journey, you’ll get to take in the river valley views from the train’s panoramic windows, and you’ll also have a chance to explore the shops and restaurants in the small town of Dillsboro during a 90-minute layover. This fall, steam train excursions leave at 12 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday between October 1 and 24, 2019
- Washington, D.C.: Once summer ends, the hordes of seasonal tourists empty out of the nation’s capital, leaving plenty of room for fall visitors to museum hop, explore the monuments and enjoy D.C.’s blossoming culinary scene. If you have time to escape the city, soak up the pleasant temps at a nearby northern Virginia winery.
- Jackson Hole, WY: Jackson Hole is a nature lover’s paradise during the summer months thanks to its proximity to Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks, but few realize that the autumn holds even more promise for outdoor adventure with thinner crowds and temperate weather that extends the season’s best activities like hiking, biking, fishing, and more. Early September sees the arrival of the Fall Arts Festival, which hosts open-air art walks, exhibitions by local artists, and historic ranch tours. You can see it all from the gondola ride up Rendezvous Peak.
- Hawaii: Travel to the Big Island in the fall to take advantage of lower room rates and stellar weather. Another popular destination for those looking for an adventure, this Hawaiian island offers impressive hiking trails (past waterfalls and molten lava) and pristine beaches.
- ABC Islands: Want a fall Caribbean vacation without worrying about hurricanes? Crowds are light and prices more forgiving from September through November in Aruba and its lesser-known siblings, Bonaire and Curaçao. These islands are so far south — just off the coast of Venezuela — that storms usually bypass them. Resorts, casinos, beaches, and colorful colonial buildings beckon in Aruba and Curaçao, while Bonaire is known for abundant diving and snorkeling. Expect beach-friendly temperatures in the high 80s. Rain is more likely later in the season, peaking in November and December.
- Barbados: Barbados, at the Caribbean’s easternmost edge, offers a lower risk of hurricanes, and fall ushers in much-lower-than-normal prices at its resorts. Compared with Aruba’s arid landscape, Barbados is lush and green, and offers a unique fusion of British and Caribbean culture — think cricket matches and some of the world’s best rum. This is the island’s rainiest time, but locals say most showers pass by fairly quickly.
- Barcelona, Spain: Warm weather (it can reach up to 80 degrees in September) continues well into fall in this Catalonian city. Flight prices are down compared to the rest of the year and November marks the most affordable month for nightly hotel rates, so this is the perfect time to experience the Gaudi architecture, public parks, and tapas this city is known for.
- Paris, France: Another European hot spot in summer is Paris, but you can get more affordable rates and comfortable weather during the city’s fall shoulder season.
- Bali: Bali’s temples, beaches, resorts, and scenic rice paddies beckon visitors from around the world. A trip to Bali doesn’t come cheap — but it is somewhat budget-friendly during the autumn months. In late September and October, summer crowds depart and this Indonesian island transitions from dry season to rainy season, making it a good time to find bargains at resorts. Although temperatures stay warm, the chance of wet weather jumps significantly in November and lasts through March.
Contact us to learn more about these and other great fall destinations that are offering the best rates! https://www.PrestigeTravelVacations.com